Why I Got An Expensive Yoga Mat

The communal mats were disgusting. I hate to be that basic, but I was tired of other people's feet smears touching me.

In 2016, I'd been regularly attending a yoga class for about five years. A coworker introduced me to a particular lunch-time class and I got hooked. I got hooked on the mini-mid-day nap. I wanted more of the glorious long feeling from stretching. I needed the eventual quietness that came to my brain and sometimes to my spirit.

I did not want the foot cooties anymore.

Participants weren't great about wiping the mats off. The staff were mildly aware the mats existed so they were no help in keeping foot cooties at bay. The weight lifters often used the mats WITH THEIR SHOES ON so...my internal squick alarm finally went off.

Also, I had a bit of mad money.

So I treated myself to the Manduka Pro 85 incher in a glorious olive color for $135 smackaroos.

I picked that mat on direct recommendation from my yoga instructor, Diana.

And frankly, she was right.

As a heavy person, that mat has made the difference in what has ultimately become a real direction in my life.

I am ruined for all the super cute $15 T.J. Maxx specials.

Here's why:

MY KNEES DON'T HURT.

Did you read that? I don't spend the last fifty minutes of a seventy-five minute class wishing I could stand up again because my knees are killing me.

There is real value in that expensive mat. It provides so much more passive support for knees, ankles, and any part that touches the mat. Which is eventually all of you. It doesn't immediately compress to the floor. Instead, the mat continues to support and cushion, even with a 300 lb. person keeping her shoulders away from her ears in dolphin pose.

The longer length comes with a little added width so all of my 5'6" self fits on my mat with room to spare.

The only downside is the 10lb. weight to lug around, but I find it a reasonable trade-off for the excellent service it provides in class.

I should also mention the classes I attend are usually on a concrete floor or vinyl over concrete floor. So, you know, really not comfortable.

I've linked to the exact mat I use below. They no longer carry the color I purchased, but they have several other great colors to choose from.

Consider this my official rave review of the Manduka Pro 85" Yoga Mat.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review: P4P Peg Legs

I am a beautiful, psychedelic mushroom.

A Top I Didn't Know I Needed