Doctor Who Provides A Comfy Tunic

This February, my husband and I introduced some friends of ours to their first fan convention. We all tried PensaCon held in Pensacola for the first time. My husband and I had only ever attended DragonCon in Atlanta which reached over 85,000 attendees last year. So, this was our first experience with a small/medium sized convention- medium than small since the organizers expected 35,000 attendees at this year's PensaCon.

Since we'd never been, we decided to forgo a full costume. Instead, I "bounded," which is an outfit that subtly suggests a character without being too "costume-y." I love Doctor Who and I've been so excited for the 13th doctor. While I found the latest season to be somewhat disappointing, Jodi Whittacker is a fantastic doctor and I love her outfit.


I used the Cashmerette Concord Tee as my pattern and fabric from Zenith and Quasar. I started with a size 28 and added 4 inches to the length and graded 3 inches out in the hips. I used the curved him option with a medium scoop neck. I only had a yard of the stripe and a yard of the plain blue which dictated the length of the tunic. I pretty much used all my fabric after I cut my sleeves and various facings and bands. 

I'm really pleased with how this came out and it's super comfy. It was perfect for the con and I've worn it several times since. I'll definitely take it with me to Atlanta this year. For me this qualifies as the perfect con outfit: cute nerdy piece, comfy leggings that are easy to move in, comfy shoes, coverage front and back for floor sitting, and ability to layer.


This is how I wore it during PensaCon which was blessed with 65-75 degree days but with major fog. 

Since this was such a success for me, I've started on another tunic that will be for my cruise to Cuba in May. I'm also thinking about adding one to a capsule athletic wardrobe I'm working on as a sort of athleisure cover-up. Given the split curved hem option, I think this would be a good yoga outfit as well with a higher neckline. It would also be quite simple to make this a sleeveless dress.

I'm definitely calling this a TNT for me.

Have you made any nerdy crossovers? Have you found any patterns that work for both regular wear and active wear? Would love to hear your thoughts!

-Sue


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review: P4P Peg Legs

I am a beautiful, psychedelic mushroom.

Yogafit Level 1 Training...As A Fat Girl Part 1